DR. JAMES PRICHARD
BDS(ULond), MSc(ULond), LDSRCS(Eng), MFGDP(UK), FIADFE(USA); Visiting Professor and Programme Leader, MClinDent in Endodontology, BPP University, City of London Dental School.
From Austenite to Martensite: The evolution of Endodontic Shaping
Shaping of root canals is one of the four pillars of excellence in endodontic therapy. Predictable shaping with NiTi instruments offers fast, safe and efficient methods to achieve this. Recent advances have seen advances in Nickel Titanium instruments and how they have been improved by new alloys and contemporary instrument design.This lecture covers the fundamentals of iRaCe instruments and XP technology and the benefit to dentist for predictable and safe canal instrumentation.
- To introduce delegates about instrument design and the influence this has on fracture prevention.
- To discuss the effect of tip design, pitch angle, taper, surface finish on instrument behaviour.
- To discuss predictable canal shaping with minimal number of instruments.
- By the end of the lecture delegates will be able to understand the influence that instrument design has on fracture prevention. Be able to understand the unique design features of iRaCe files and XP technologies and how they can be used predictably to shape canals.
Bioceramics in 21st century enododntics
Calcium Silicate cements are a quantum leap forward in endodontic materials. Their biocompatibility and antimicrobial properties have revolutionised endodontic therapies.
Their refinement over the last 20 years have made these materials easier to use, improved handling properties and more widely available to dentists.
This in turn has improved treatment outcomes with minimal problems for patients.
- To introduce delegates to the basic chemistry of calcium silicates and how they benefit the practitioner in endodontic therapy. To explore the improvements in handling properties and ease of application which have broadened their scope of use in restorative and endodontic treatments. To show how they can be used in vital pulp therapies, surgical and non-surgical endodontics and pulp regeneration procedures.
- By the end of the lecture delegates will be able to understand the how calcium silicate cements have evolved over time and how they can be applied in prevention of pulp death, obturation, surgical repair and tissue regeneration.